In this blog post, we thought we would share five things about pearls that you may or may not know. Some are probably true, we suspect at least one is more fiction than truth.
1. Pearls are known as the world's softest gem. They have a hardness factor of between 2.5-4.5. This compares to diamonds which have a hardness factor of ten.
2. Cleopatra famously challenged Mark Anthony with the claim that she could consume the entire wealth of a nation in just one meal. There is a longer story but the short version is that she crushed one of the huge pearls on her earrings and dissolved it in her wine glass. After drinking the wine, she challenged Mark Anthony to do the same. He refused, but through Cleopatra's actions he saw what he thought was greatness within her.
3. Urban legend has it that Cartier purchased their New York Cartier Building in 1917 for $100 and two strands of pearls.
4. Until 2014, the world's largest pearl was recognized as the Pearl Of Lao Tzu. It measures 24 centimeters in diameter and weighs 6.4 kilograms.
However the Pearl of Puerto was finally presented to the world in 2014 with claims that it was now the largest pearl in the world. Discovered in 2004, It had spent those first ten years under the bed of a fisherman who discovered it - presumably as a good luck charm. It measures 67 cm long, 30 cm wide and weighs 34 kilograms.
5. East Asian art is famous for showing dragons with a flaming pearl in their talons or under their chin. The flaming pearl is said to grant wishes. In Eastern mythology the pearl is known for eternal life, wisdom, spiritual energy, wealth, power, thunder or the moon.
Anyway, which one of these seem real to you, and which ones seem made up. Let us know in the comments below.
Get The Basics Here
Learn more about pearls:
- How To Tell If Pearls Are Real
- The Difference Between Freshwater And Seawater Pearls
- How Pearls Are Graded
Your Next Step
Why not our growing community of pearl lovers. We'll keep you at the front of the queue for all our best offers and the latest pearly advice and wisdom.
Or if you keep losing your pearl earrings. Take a look at our snug butterflies. They are more effective than traditional backings and give you added security for when you are out and about. Click the link below for more information.
Join Our Community
Discover More About Our Snug Butterflies